[Yearly Review][2017] Goals for 2018

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

2017 saw another improvement in the number of my personal goals that I achieved, but I'm still some way below where I would like to be. As I mentioned in my review of the year though, there were some big changes in my life in 2017 that weren't necessarily reflected in my success rate, and that will require some adjustments in how I set goals for myself moving forwards.



General
  • Save a net £3000, after accounting for holidays (I saved more than this in 2017, but that was at the expense of any holidays.)
  • Keep my weight between 12st and 13st. (I'm pretty happy with my weight at the moment, and would like to keep it that way.)
  • Go swimming once per week for more than three-quarters of the year. (My new workday schedule gives an easy route to achieving this goal, as I can go to the pool before I go to work. But it's also easy to slip up, so I want to keep the pressure on)
  • Go swimming twice per week, an average of once per month (I would like to build on my regular swimming now that it's my main source of exercise.)
  • Swim a total of 52km or more throughout the year.  (I would like to average 1km per week, which based on my 2017 numbers is easily achievable)
  • Cycle to work at least once  (I'm no longer cycling as my primary mode of commuting, but I would like to try to do so at least once.)
  • Go on a Sunday cycle ride at least 10 times.
  • Publish at least one blog post every two months, not including the end of year review posts. (I was so very close to this one that I think it's achievable)
  • Attend at least one Wasps match.
  • Attend at least two Blaze matches.
  • See at least one play or musical in the West End.
  • Drink no Coca Cola / Pepsi / equivalent cola-based drinks.  (Another goal that I was very close to achieving, and I've felt better in doing so. I want to keep this one going.)
  • Visit a Snowdome at least once for skiing practice.  (A miserable failure in 2017, but one that I would still like to aim for.)
  • Board the loft
  • Fix the radiator in the study

Work / Career Development
  • Publish at least one peer-reviewed papers (2017 saw a complete failure to publish on my part, which is unacceptable.)
  • Attend at least one international-level conference.
  • Go on at least one observing run. (This goal is at the mercy of the TAC gods, but there are a couple of projects I'm involved in that could supply observing time)
  • Participate in at least one career development-related training course (Ongoing career development is essential)
  • Start working towards some form of project management qualification. (A large part of my work now seems to be project-management based, so I would like to develop my skills in this area and, in the process, acquire some recognition for it)

Reading
  • Read 30 fiction books.
  • Read 5 non-fiction books. 
  • Buy 10 or fewer physical books (net) for the house (Books bought for work don't count. I've said 'net' as I would like to get rid of some books this year)
  • Read a total of 40 books.
  • Read at least 5 full magazines from my pile.
  • Finish reading the "Shadows of the Apt" series. (This goal is in tension with my goal of not buying more than ten books, as I'll need to buy four to finish this series)

TV and film
  • Watch one TV show from my collection (that I haven't previously watched).
  • Watch at least five complete seasons of TV shows (different or the same show)
  • Watch at least one film from my collection (that I haven't previously watched).
  • Watch more than 20 films (combined between cinema trips, home, film nights, etc.)
  • Acquire 10 or fewer DVDs (net) for the house


Wargaming
My wargaming horizons have broadened out again this year, as I've returned to my routes as a wargamer rather than board gamer. This has been helped by further diversification at the games club.
  • Paint 10 models.
  • Play at least 1 game of Warmachine / Hordes with a fully painted army.
  • Play at least 5 games with each of my Warmachine / Hordes factions (Cryx, Convergence of Cyriss, and Circle Orboros)
  • Achieve a Warmachine/Hordes win rate of at least 50%
  • Play at least 3 games of X-Wing
  • Play at least 3 games of Dropzone Commander
  • Build my Dropfleet Commander models
  • Play at least 1 game of Dropfleet Commander
  • Play at least 1 game of Warhammer 40K 8th edition

Board gaming
I'm really cutting down in this category this year, as I very rarely attend the board games nights on Wednesday anymore. However, my girlfriend is getting into boardgames, and I've discovered that a few of our mutual friends are also interested, so we're going to try to have semi-regular games evenings.
  • Play at least five different games.
  • Play at least one new game
  • Achieve a win rate of at least 33%
  • Teach my girlfriend at least one new game
  • Host or attend at least two board game evenings with my friends
  • Finish Pandemic Legacy: Season 2

Computer gaming
  • Finish 1 game's single-player campaigns.
  • Start at least one new game

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[TV] Arrow - season 1

[Films] The Dark Knight Rises

[Astronomy] Final year PhD concerns